Sep 16, 2015

The Story of Fall


Today, while drinking my morning coffee and looking through the window, I realized it is Mid-September. It is fall once again.
And I decided to write something hopeful in response to the overwhelming, heartbreaking news we hear everyday from the Middle East.
To Syria, to Gaza, to Iraq, to Yemen and to all countries who leave no choice for their people but to flee, I dedicate this morning thought.


It is fall once again …
The green leaves are turning yellow… orange .. and brown…
The colorful leaves are blown by the wind in all directions….
Falling …. In all directions …
Drying out and becoming brown and more fragile…
Few leaves hold tightly to the trees …
In the face of heavy rain and cold wind….
They hold tightly…. For days… for weeks … for months …
Until their power fatigues… And they fall…
Like all other leaves… Fall..
Leaving the naked trees to face the brutal winter alone…
Trees stand gracefully…
Knowing that no matter how long the winter takes….
Spring will arrive…
Fresh green leaves will sparkle with morning dew…
Once again …
Flowers will blossom in all colors and shapes…
Spring will arrive to wash away the tears of fall….

Once upon a time I was the Fall, and my leaves fell down leaving me naked,
Once upon a time I was a Syrian Child
Living in Damascus in a white house with a fountain in the heart of the yard…
I spent my childhood playing around with the smell of flowers overwhelming my spirit …
Until one day,
War began, and all I could hear is the constant bombing
I closed my eyes and tried to look at the flowers only..
Until the bomb reached my home..
Then we had to flee.
Leaving our home … our flowers and my old dolls…
I lost my childhood living on the boarders between life and death, between my mother and my scared siblings….
My leaves fell down …
and my green spirit became brown …

Being a refugee …. Having no land
And a dream of past home haunted me …
Today…. I am German ... I have a land that carries me ... and I carry my land in my heart ...
Today I am able to dream … that my leaves will one day grow back …
And spring will come to my life once again..

No comments: